- The European soccer body is fully committed to ensuring the Championship finale is completed even though it will be challenging to organize it.
UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin discussed the way forward with Portugal’s Prime Minister Antonio Costa and made his determination for the league clear as he stated: “no need for a Plan B”
“During the meeting, all parties underlined they are fully committed to working together in a collaborative manner in order to deliver a successful event in Lisbon,” UEFA’s statement read in part.
“The participants discussed the fact that this is an unprecedented tournament which presents great challenges, but reinforced their belief that the necessary conditions will be present in Portugal.” Added the statement.
As a measure to contain the spread of COVID 19 pandemic, the Portuguese government said that those people living in the affected areas of the capital – 19 parishes not including downtown Lisbon – would be allowed to leave home only to buy essential goods or to travel to and from work from July 1-14.
The finale will not be football as we know it, the tournament’s quarter-finals and semi-finals will be staged over one leg, instead of the usual two, the finals are scheduled for Aug. 23. Portugal’s Prime Minister is ready to offer his support to the soccer body.
“I shared a complete update on the COVID-19 situation in our country and added that all measures are being taken to ensure that we will host this tournament safely and securely,” explained Costa.
“we will conclude the season in a positive way in Lisbon. There is no need for a Plan B.” said president Ceferin with confidence.
So far, RB Leipzig, Atletico Madrid, Atalanta, and Paris St Germain are qualified for the quarter-finals.